[OSM-talk] Fwd: Nav4All navigation shut down by Navteq

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Mon Feb 1 20:48:37 GMT 2010

Ulf Lamping wrote:
> Seems a lot of mappers would be quite happy to follow an at least
> more fixed tagging scheme than what we currently have today.
>
> Unfortunately, there's no magic wand to get to this quickly ...

It's beginning to happen already.

As OSM's data structures (principally "creative and unexpected uses of
relations") and tags become more complex, and as the project expands beyond
the initial audience of geeks, the editing tools are inevitably starting to
abstract away the nitty-gritty. In two years' time, most users won't know or
care what the cycleway tags are; they'll just click the cycleway icon(s) in
their editor and tick the appropriate options, and the editor will invisibly
sort the tags out.

cheers
Richard