[OSM-talk] Fwd: Nav4All navigation shut down by Navteq

NopMap ekkehart at gmx.de
Tue Feb 2 11:37:26 GMT 2010

Hi!

Ulf Lamping wrote:

> Am 01.02.2010 20:03, schrieb Frederik Ramm:
>> I don't see how you could have the advantages without the disadvantages.
>> Add a fixed tagging scheme and peer review to OSM and you get more
>> quality but less data and longer turnaround times; before long you are
>> TeleAtlas v2.0 and have to charge for maps to pay your mappers because
>> nobody does it for fun any more.
>
> Hmmm, a lot of the mappers I was talking to told me that it was a burden
> to find "the right tag" for something, in the hope that it will "appear
> on the map".
>
> Seems a lot of mappers would be quite happy to follow an at least more
> fixed tagging scheme than what we currently have today.

I have heard the same from many new mappers. Initially people *expect* that
there was a fixed tagging scheme for most common things. They are asking for
a simple way to find the "right" tag.

It becomes rather disillusioning when they find out how things really are.
Most do not want to search wikis, read through discussion backlogs, design
new tags, decide between contradictive tool presets, join meta discussions
about the meaning of voting, ask questions about contradictions in wiki
contents.

Most simply want to map and would find a finished catalogue with a single
tagging scheme a huge improvement.

bye
             Nop