[OSM-talk] Fwd: Nav4All navigation shut down by Navteq

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Feb 2 23:19:56 GMT 2010

Richard,

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> I will confess to being very disappointed that JOSM has now adopted the
> retarded why-use-one-tag-when-eighty-three-will-do cycleway scheme.

I don't know how this has changed over time, but the current version of
JOSM has

"Dedicated cycleway" => highway=cycleway

"Segregated foot- and cycleway"[*] =>
highway=path,foot=designated,bicycle=designated,segregated=yes

"Combined foot- and cycleway" =>
highway=path,foot=designated,bicycle=designated

That corresponds to the German signage

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2d/Zeichen_237.svg/120px-Zeichen_237.svg.png
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Zeichen_241.svg/120px-Zeichen_241.svg.png
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/03/Zeichen_240.svg/120px-Zeichen_240.svg.png

I don't know how one is supposed to tag a way that is suitable for
cycles and pedestrians but does *not* have the above signs; I tend to
use highway=cycleway for those as well, which then upsets the horse
riders because if there are no signs then, in Germany, that implies
horse=yes whereas something with one of the blue signs above
automatically means horse=no.

I'm just offering that as an explanation, I don't really want to discuss
it in breadth but you're welcome to fire up your Babelfish for a night
of fun on talk-de ;)

Speaking of talk-de - you English don't do that language compression
thing with the hyphen I highlighted above, do you? Where a phrase like
"motorway and byway" gets shortened to "motor- and byway"?

Bye
Frederik