[OSM-talk] Fwd: Nav4All navigation shut down by Navteq

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Tue Feb 2 13:04:17 GMT 2010

NopMap wrote:
> Is there any initiative to make sure the different editors use the
> same tags for the same thing? If so, I missed it completely.

Not formally, but certainly when deciding which presets to use in Potlatch
I'll look at the other editor presets; at tools like OSMdoc and Tagwatch;
and at the Mapnik stylesheet. IME the editors and Mapnik tend to share a
fairly common core of tags whereas the wiki can be a bit "out there".
Someone came up with a useful comparison chart recently but, haha, it's on
our embarrassment of a wiki so forget any chances of finding that again.

I will confess to being very disappointed that JOSM has now adopted the
retarded why-use-one-tag-when-eighty-three-will-do cycleway scheme.

> Instead mappers would be free to simply do what they enjoy - mapping.

I like your optimism. But people do genuinely appear to enjoy wiki-fiddling,
too. Sadly.

cheers
Richard