[OSM-talk] Fwd: Nav4All navigation shut down by Navteq

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 20:13:48 GMT 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 11:04 PM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:

> I will confess to being very disappointed that JOSM has now adopted the
> retarded why-use-one-tag-when-eighty-three-will-do cycleway scheme.

So you seriously think highway=cycleway is all that's needed to
describe the various flavours of cycleways worldwide? If so, I'd be
personally interested to hear your definition of a "cycleway".

> I like your optimism. But people do genuinely appear to enjoy wiki-fiddling,
> too. Sadly.

What's with the "wiki-fiddler" hatred? (not just you, Richard, in
general) All those people advocating for a consistent/enforced/limited
tagging scheme - how do you think such a scheme should be produced?
"Wiki-fiddlers" (meaning those who use and edit the wiki) are the
primary people who are aiming to document the meanings of tags and
develop a more consistent tagging scheme...If you've got a problem
with the definition of highway=cycleway, why not stop complaining
about "wiki-fiddlers" and contribute!:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Consolidation_footway_cycleway_path

If, on the other hand, you think iterative/collaborative/gradual
improvement towards the goal (of a consistent tag set) by the OSM
community is *impossible*, then why even bother being involved in
OSM...?