[OSM-talk] Fwd: Nav4All navigation shut down by Navteq

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Feb 2 15:02:10 GMT 2010

Hi,

Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> I read very often about this, and am asking myself: why is noone
> proposing / offering such a catalogue? It would be simple as that: set
> up a catalogue with all your definitions and publish it for newbies to
> be used. Oh, and update it say on a daily basis ;-)

My answer: Behind every "we need better rules to guide newbies" sits an
ugly "we need rules to force the community to do things in a certain way
and if they don't abide by the rules, we'll simply run a bot over them".

Nobody is truly interested in helping newbies, that's just a fig leaf
for wanting to stamp out creativity and replace it by a fixed rule set
decided by a majority of 10 to 9 wiki fiddlers.

Bye
Frederik