[OSM-talk] Playing tagging democracy: standard building process and tag unifying towards it

Jochen Plumeyer jochen at plumeyer.org
Tue Feb 2 21:24:51 GMT 2010

Hello everyone,

I am new to the OSM community, sorry if my suggestions are totally naïve.

Fact: The collective end product is rendered somehow, and the renderer
stylesheets decide, how to interprete tags.

So it seems to me, that creating 2 things is necessary:

1.: We need a process of negotiation about tag rendering standards. (i.e.,
between the people who write the Mapnik stylesheet and the others who want to
see their tags rendered in a certain way). This process perhaps should not
block or dominate the communication of the whole OSM workers.
This decision making process can be "collective" or "representative", by a
elected group of people.
Meta decisions:
I think the implementation of the decision making process should be a
collective process.

Could be an interesting challenge to create good democratic structures by an
online community.

2.: Tag babelfish: the most important idioms in tag creation should be unified
by a program. Perhaps this is already the case?
The tag babelfish rules should be documented in a systematic way, with the
opportunity of every tagging religion to explain their beliefs.

How does that sound?

Cheers,

Jochen