[OSM-talk] Fwd: Nav4All navigation shut down by Navteq

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Wed Feb 3 11:52:16 GMT 2010

Richard Mann wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 5:36 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
> <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...routers would lead pedestrians in areas where they are not allowed to
>> walk (cycleways).
>
> Nonsense. There'll be a footway alongside that they can use (99.999%
> of the time).
>
> If you want to micro-map a footway as well, and put foot=no on the
> cycleway, feel free.
>
> But unless you've micro-mapped the footway, you should *not* be adding
> foot=no explicitly or implicitly, unless there really is no route. And
> the simplest way to show that it has been micromapped is to put an
> explicit foot=no on the cycleway when you've done it.

Micro-mapping is only appropriate where there IS a separately marked pedestrian
area on the ground. SOME cycleways do have 'no pedestrian' markings, just as
some footpaths have 'no cycles' but the main discussion should be providing a
macro level view of the 'data'. On the whole, a simple single way may well
define the route for cars, bikes, and people. What needs to be clear is where
these routes separate into sections that are specific to each target.
Micro-mapping the physical areas on the ground is the ultimate, but showing
separate pedestrian and cycle crossing points, and linking them to foot and bike
only routes is something of a mess currently?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL