[OSM-talk] Fwd: Nav4All navigation shut down by Navteq

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Feb 3 16:54:09 GMT 2010

Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> OK. And where can I find this information? If it is not findable,
> it will not be used.

Well, there's the rub. As a project, we are crap at documentation. Beyond
crap. How anyone ever manages to get started with OSM amazes me.

(And if you'll excuse me a hobby-horse, we also have a really exasperating
tendency to say:
   1. Something is wrong!
   2. The wrong thing was done with an editor!!!
   3. BAN TEH EDITOR!!11111oneas3

or, in its milder form,
   3. DEMAND TEH EDITOR IS FIXED IMMEDIATELY!!!11!

which is, basically, the community abrogating its responsibility to help
others. It's pretty amazing that, until the last couple of weeks, no-one
apart from Steve had ever filmed a screencast on how to use Potlatch; and
that we still have a Beginners' Guide on the wiki which focuses on the
non-beginners' editor.)

> The oldest version of highway=cycleway I can find already speaks
> about mainly or exclusively for cyclists (Oct. 2007).
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php?title=Tag:highway%3Dcycleway&oldid=55517

IIRC it was documented on Map Features before the individual pages existed.
I've tried to look at the history for Map Features on the wiki but, surprise
surprise, it bombs out.

cheers
Richard