[OSM-talk] Proposed feature: Gated Communities

Chango640 chango640 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 22:22:13 GMT 2010

I thought about using landuse<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse>
=residential <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dresidential>(which
I'm already using in cities and towns), but here in Argentina there
is a strong difference between ordinary neighbourhoods and gated
communities.

Despite being called communities, they are actually private neighbourhoods
where people pay mainly for a reliable security service (the needs here are
different from the ones in developed countries), so you can't go in them as
you could in a normal neighbourhood, and usually the people who live in them
don't have the kind of relation that they would have if they lived, for
example, in religious communities. Besides, these "country clubs" (as we
call them here) are often built in the countryside rather than next to
cities, and have some independence.

I think that your suggestion for a "community" tag is a great idea, but this
is something different, and wouldn't fit perfectly into that. As the tag
landuse <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse>=residential<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dresidential>doesn't
fit all the requirements of a gated community either, I'm making
this proposal.
About the other suggestions, I agree with you. I may add that in gated
communities, the tag barrier<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:barrier>
=fence <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:barrier%3Dfence> should be
set by default, and the entrances and internal streets should always be
drawn.

Cheers.

Chango640