[OSM-talk] Request for user block

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 11:47:19 GMT 2010

On 4 February 2010 21:02, Maarten Deen <mdeen at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> This of course comes after blocking on email address proves ineffective.
> And we even have blacklists for blocking certain "get for free e-mail"
> domains from ever registering.

I've dealt with this on a project before in a similar manner, I can't
say with any certainty how well it worked but the problems we were
thought might occur due to abuse so far to date haven't come into
fruition. Going down this path did cause extra labour as we've had a
number requests to allow free domain emails because their ISP didn't
offer email addresses, so this could potentially increase labour,
allowing individual email addresses and/or just replying to emails
about it.

I can provide a list of over 1700 free email domains if the powers
that be at OSM decide to go down this path.

However anyone with a suitable internet account and money to burn on
domains and/or working for a company that provides domain services for
lots of customers can bypass this of course.