[OSM-talk] In-vehicle tracking and editing software for tablet computers?

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Fri Feb 5 09:14:28 GMT 2010

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010, Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:
> > We have a fleet of 15 or 20 vehicles [...] I need to track where they go,
> > primarily; that's not really anything to do with OSM, I realise.
>
> [...]
>
> > What I'm looking for is something -- I'm playing with Traveling Salesman
> > at the moment -- that could combine all of these things, navigation,
> > tracking, and editing.
>
> I'd use separate pieces of software. Custom software for tracking (it's
> not that hard, and it really depends on how you transmit the position of
> the vehicle); navit for navigation (text-to-speech and all), and JOSM
> for editing (with the livegps and surveyor plugins).
>
> If you put all that in a linux box with gpsd, you'll be able to run all
> of them at once.

I cannot edit live on JOSM in the car.
It isn't a technical problem.
The problem, which will be at least as bad in WA, is the large number of
lumens from that star of the daytime. I cannot read the screen of the computer
unless I shade it, take off my sunglasses and then squint at the screen. I
admit to aging eyes and needing reading glasses (but not in full sun).
I manage better with geo-referenced photos and editing at night at home / in
motel etc