[OSM-talk] In-vehicle tracking and editing software for tablet computers?

Niccolo Rigacci osm at rigacci.org
Fri Feb 5 15:38:23 GMT 2010

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 02:12:59PM +1100, Sam Wilson wrote:

> I need to track where they go, primarily; that's not really anything to do
> with OSM, I realise.

For on-line vehicle tracking I wrote a little daemon to run on my
OpenMoko FreeRunner phone; it gets position from gpsd and forward
it to a remote database server using UDP packets over GPRS
connection.

It works very well, it seems also that GPRS modem does some
buffering when switching from cell to cell, because I exprience
very few data loss also away from cities. I send a position every
10 seconds, I lost max 3% of packets here in Italy.

The UDP connection is "send and forget", no retry is made. An
improvement of the software can be some sort of acknowlegment and
packet retransmission.

Here you can find that experiment:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gpsdproxy/

--