[OSM-talk] printable maps of continents

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 9 12:18:54 GMT 2010

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 11:58:59 +0000 (GMT), Joe Richards
<joefish75 at yahoo.com>
wrote:
> I'm sure this has been asked before but searching didn't provide any
> satisfactory results.  I would like to produce some large (e.g. A3)
printed
> maps of continents (specifically Central America and South America),
> showing the political borders, ideally mountain ranges, rivers and major
> cities.
>
> I notice I can print maps with Kosmos, but downloading an entire
> continent's OSM file seems a bit excessive and likely to fail.  Is there
> better way?

I would suggest using XAPI to download the features you need. Optionally
merging multiple osm files with Osmosis.

Mountain ranges are rare I think. I've seen them rendered very nicely here
[1], but those are all forest areas you see.

[1]
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=41.751&lon=21.204&zoom=11&layers=B000FTF

Maarten