[OSM-talk] Two different ways with the same nodes?

Stefan Pflumm stefan.pflumm at web.de
Thu Feb 11 16:30:24 GMT 2010

Frederik Ramm schrieb:
> In our neck of the woods, a typical example for two ways sharing the
> same nodes would be a road with a tram line on/in it. We do not create
> one way that has both highway=residential and railway=tram (because
> then, if the way also had a ref=, name=, or oneway=, would that refer to
> the tram or the street?) - instead we have two ways using the same nodes.

Yes, the tram is a good example for sharing nodes. But i forgot to
describe this
more precisely: this ways are all highways. If you drive by car, a
street it is always the same, has the same name and
speed. Sometimes it's part of a trunk or a special touristic route, but
this can descibed by tags.

I personally can't imagine that theres a good reason why highway-ways
share the same nodes, but my way of thinking might be wrong.
I will accept this and find a solution for my database.

Thank's to all for the answers.

Stefan