[OSM-talk] fwd: Two thirds of mobile users want driving AND walking navigation

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 01:13:12 GMT 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 7:10 PM, James Stewart <j.k.stewart at ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> Getting back to those walkers, though. Navteq says it's identified four features requested by large numbers of users when they're on foot. They are:
> public transport information including real-time data;

Well, OSM can do bus/rail stops, but no real-time data...

> “logical guidance” which can provide specific pedestrian routing and shortcuts

This is good; we're doing well with highway=path/footway

> visual cues during guidance such as landmarks

Can OSM improve on this?

> and micro maps of destinations such as airports and shopping malls

I think this is quite important, and can be one of the strengths of
OSM. e.g. Plenty of POI's waiting to be mapped here:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-27.66214&lon=153.04129&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF