[OSM-talk] OSM front page design concept

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Sun Feb 21 16:26:53 GMT 2010

On Feb 21, 2010, at 1:19 AM, Tom Hughes wrote:

> On 21/02/10 07:38, SteveC wrote:
>
>> 2) We have to be very clear that the openstreetmap.org website is _awful_. Horrendous. A total PITA. We're all here because we're persistent with it. But the wonderful thing is - we don't have to make the tools and site easy to use if we can expose a simple bug system. It's very clear that nobody can convince Richard to actually write something any muggle would really want to use, you can scream at him to finish the mythical Potlatch 2 all you want, but he doesn't give a shit and lives on a boat in bliss. That's his choice, and it's totally fine, but if we all feel that way then we have to deal with the downside that every single day we lose tens of thousands of edits because of that monopoly on bad UI. All I'm suggesting is we sidestep the problem and connect people who can report a map bug but can't be bothered to deal with pain and suffering of potlatch with the people who can deal with it, at least until Richard gets his act together and stops fixing every stupid thing
> in the old codebase. You have to take a step back here and realise what we're missing out on.
>
> Oh for crying out loud Steve, do you have to be such a complete shit all the time? I honestly wouldn't blame Richard if he deleted all his code and walked off into the sunset and we never saw him again after that pointless little diatribe. I do help it made you feel better.

And I, Tom, would feel fine leaving too after you pissed all over the design work in OGD comments I got done yesterday because I didn't ask your express permission.

I think it's a totally valid criticism to say potlatch 1 feels like windows 3.0, there's potlatch 2 that's been sitting around forever, and it's a million times better, and if it's not going to ever get finished we need to look at other ways to allow people to contribute to the map.

Yours &c.

Steve