[OSM-talk] [OSM-dev] OSM front page design concept

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Sun Feb 21 17:23:04 GMT 2010

SteveC wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2010, at 8:03 AM, Dave F. wrote:
>
>> How is zooming all the way in & repeatedly panning around to centre up, quicker than one click to _accurately_  locate the problem?
>>

> Hi, you've never done a UI review.
>
> http://usability.wikimedia.org/wiki/UX_and_Usability_Study
>
> Money quote:
>
> "Every user in this study struggled to get a basic grasp of the editing interface. Despite users’ overall excitement about Wikipedia, their willingness to spend up to an hour on the site, and varying levels of computer expertise, they largely failed to make edits correctly without repeated attempts and efforts."
>
> It would be worse for OSM. Ir shouldn't be.

What proof do you have for that?

You're comparing oranges with apples.
With OSM being vector graphics & icons, it's much easier to get to grips
with than a scripting language.
(As a side point, I think all references to XML format data should be
banned from the wiki. It's too confusing & not relevant for newbies.)

Initial points after skimming your link:

15 is not a big enough set for accurate conclusions. Even worse it was
vetted down, removing users who were willing editors. This gives a
distorted view on how user friendly it is. And they were just from SF.

Environment plays a big part in opinion surveys like this. Going on the
photo' for the remote sessions it's results are hardly surprising -
uncomfortable seats, broom cupboard room (I bet it got hot in there) &
poor posture positions.
Most OSM users will learn at their own pace in the comfort of their own
homes.

I got to grips with OSM fairly quickly, yet I've still not worked out
how to edit a wiki properly.

>> 2) We have to be very clear that the openstreetmap.org website is _awful_. Horrendous. A total PITA. We're all here because we're persistent with it. But the wonderful thing is - we don't have to make the tools and site easy to use if we can expose a simple bug system. It's very clear that nobody can convince Richard to actually write something any muggle would really want to use, you can scream at him to finish the mythical Potlatch 2 all you want, but he doesn't give a shit and lives on a boat in bliss. That's his choice, and it's totally fine, but if we all feel that way then we have to deal with the downside that every single day we lose tens of thousands of edits because of that monopoly on bad UI. All I'm suggesting is we sidestep the problem and connect people who can report a map bug but can't be bothered to deal with pain and suffering of potlatch with the people who can deal with it, at least until Richard gets his act together and stops fixing every stupid thing in the old codebase. You have to take a step back here and realise what we're missing out on.
>>
>> You really are a grade A tosser.
>> When most people here treat others with respect, why do you have to degenerate it into a juvenile, Youtube style slanging match?
>> What do you think Granny's reaction will be when she reads this?
>>

> Sorry,
And so you should be.

> do you disagree with any specific point I made?

I disagree with you general attitude.

Regards
Dave F.