[OSM-talk] Underwater scuba map in KML

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 19:48:42 GMT 2010

Hi,
Nice map.  im using the OpenStreetMap KML overlay to look at it on Google
Earth.

Regarding contours, if your plannng on using the map with an underwater GPS
device.  i would recommend using a marine charts map as an overlay, so to
get your depth contours.  Just as you would use a SRTM contour overlay for
on land use.

Obviously, you cant copy from that marine charts map, but of course, from
entering in waypoints & rembering what the point was.  It helps.

I dont know where there are depth contours available for the planet.  It
would be AWESOME to find some, so then they can be used with the Groundtruth
program.   if you have a source which is compatable, please to share.  It
would be great to get whatever contours are available.

Also, i noticed that a few features didnt render in mapnik.

the tag might be appropriate
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:historic%3Dwreck
with the addition of layer=-1
then the addition of ele=-50
(as the default is meters) .. or whatever the actual depth is.

IMO, Cheers,
Sam

P.S. the seamap project is part of this topic as this interesting :)
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenSeaMap