[OSM-talk] Mapping streets as areas - can I do it now?

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 20:50:36 GMT 2010

On 23 February 2010 06:41, Niklas Cholmkvist <towardsoss at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it is because I like to map with much detail. I like to map it
> 'as it really is'.

In reality you are only mapping an approximation, maps aren't supposed
to replace aerial imagery they serve different purposes.

> That is not the only reason. Maybe it's how the map looks also in
> various renderers(mapnik or other renderers), which shows the streets as
> very big while in reality they are pretty small if seen from a long

You will end up breaking routing etc if you don't also include a way,
or have very very strange round about like routing which will depart
greatly from your goal of mapping in detail as much as possible.

I wasn't going to say anything because this topic has been done to
death, but until things are sorted out one way or another tool wise
you are going to make things very complicated for other people, and
other people won't probably understand or appreciate your efforts and
replace them with the more common way of doing things.