[OSM-talk] I ordered my first personal camera so I can do 'photomapping' or 'geotagging'

Andrew Gregory andrew at scss.com.au
Tue Feb 23 15:43:36 GMT 2010

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 04:18:38 +0800, Niklas Cholmkvist
<towardsoss at gmail.com> wrote:

> I own a cell phone which can take pictures, but it doesn't store
> pictures in exif format. After much research over time it seems I
> couldn't even add exif by hand to the pictures I took with it.(with the
> purpose to put the modification date in exif format in the picture by
> hand)
>
> Yesterday I ordered my first camera(Nikon Coolpix L19). Mostly with the
> purpose of taking photos while I have a gps along with me, to later
> geotag photos with josm and later use the pictures as sources for street
> names or Points of Interest.
>
> Does anyone have that camera? I was a bit unsure whether to buy it or if
> I should ask first here if anyone has it, but as I read it supports exif
> 2.2 and memory cards(SD) I'm familiar with I decided to buy it without
> asking/mentioning first. Just wanted to share.

I own a Nikon L19 (among others). I'm looking into ways to geotag its
photos, and more for the challenge than anything else, am avoiding
computer-based software, i.e. I'm looking for hardware solutions, ideally
an integrated GPS logger and photo tagger. My research so far is on my
blog <http://my.opera.com/Andrew%20Gregory/blog/photo-geotagging>.

BTW, I use Geosetter <http://www.geosetter.de> and have been able to add
various EXIF values including the date/time stamp and location to regular
JPEGs, such as those taken by typical mobile phones.

HTH,
--
Andrew Gregory <mailto:andrew at scss.com.au>
<http://www.scss.com.au/family/andrew/>