[OSM-talk] Thoughts on OSM design, and looking forward and back

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 21:07:32 GMT 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 2:17 PM, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:

> I know matt takes it personally that the logo is anything other than
> perfect, and richard takes it personally that potlatch is crap for
> newbies... but that's just fact of the matter as I constantly hear from
> designers, newbies and so many others. I don't care about personal feelings
> on those particular topics nearly as much as it physically pains me to think
> about all the people we turn away every single day because of it.

Steve, I *really* don't want to start a flame war on the list (and I greatly
appreciate your hard work on OSM), but I want to make sure and shine the
mirror back at you a little bit. Lately your posts to this mailing list and
others have been very confrontational on a personal level with some people.
I imagine the discourse about new ideas for OSM would be much more civil if
we didn't have to worry about personal attacks from you. I'm not saying your
objections are *wrong*, but keep in mind that there are human beings
subscribed to this list. When they read your troll-ey responses to
criticism, I imagine it douses interest in continuing the on-topic
conversation very quickly.

Also, I did not know OSM had a UserVoice page -- perhaps you could continue
sharing with this list the ideas you've heard for making OSM better, but
this time don't slit people's throats when they make a constructive response
to your idea.