[OSM-talk] Thoughts on OSM design, and looking forward and back

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Tue Feb 23 21:35:46 GMT 2010

On Feb 23, 2010, at 2:07 PM, Ian Dees wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 2:17 PM, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:
> I know matt takes it personally that the logo is anything other than perfect, and richard takes it personally that potlatch is crap for newbies... but that's just fact of the matter as I constantly hear from designers, newbies and so many others. I don't care about personal feelings on those particular topics nearly as much as it physically pains me to think about all the people we turn away every single day because of it.
>

> Steve, I *really* don't want to start a flame war on the list (and I greatly appreciate your hard work on OSM), but I want to make sure and shine the mirror back at you a little bit. Lately your posts to this mailing list and others have been very confrontational on a personal level with some people. I imagine the discourse about new ideas for OSM would be much more civil if we didn't have to worry about personal attacks from you. I'm not saying your objections are *wrong*, but keep in mind that there are human beings subscribed to this list. When they read your troll-ey responses to criticism, I imagine it douses interest in continuing the on-topic conversation very quickly.

oh sure - if you have any specific ones that annoy you I can try and explain why I was short. I think mainly it was just very annoying how TomH pissed all over it straight away which is actually pretty unlike him.

> Also, I did not know OSM had a UserVoice page -- perhaps you could continue sharing with this list the ideas you've heard for making OSM better, but this time don't slit people's throats when they make a constructive response to your idea.

er... can you point to any example where I "slit people's throats when they make a constructive response" ?

Yours &c.

Steve