[OSM-talk] Thoughts on OSM design, and looking forward and back

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 15:32:10 GMT 2010

On 25 February 2010 01:06, Richard Mann
<richard.mann.westoxford at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Chill guys. I still just about remember being a newbie, and I didn't
> find Potlatch crap.

I have a fairly technical background, and it took a 2nd look 6 months
later for me to do anything of significance.

When I originally signed up I found the whole thing a tad daunting and
overwhelming originally, nothing was very clear about what it was I
was supposed to be doing, beyond fixing simple mistakes, or how to use
GPS traces to enter data that wasn't available from imagery.

I over came this, but how many others just don't bother?

I've also spent a fair amount of time explaining a lot of the concepts
and such surrounding OSM and most people don't get or don't care for
higher ideals and when the editor is not intuative to boot they just
don't bother doing anything or coming back after a few days.