[OSM-talk] Thoughts on OSM design, and looking forward and back

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 18:00:38 GMT 2010

On 24 February 2010 17:19, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
> On 24/02/10 16:58, Dermot McNally wrote:

> I completely disagree. We're running a project to map the world,

We agree on that - but I claim that to do so effectively we have to
harness the power of all those people who don't yet "get" what we're
trying to achieve...

> not a
> project to provide an end user site to compete with google maps.

...whereas they _do_ understand google maps and what it can do for
them. They need to get over the misconception that OSM can't do those
things, a misconception that is reinforced by our current default
slippy map.

Furthermore, it's a win-win. We don't have to (indeed, we shouldn't)
stop all the good stuff we're doing already. We just need to do some
extra things, probably with different people working on them.
Voluntary projects are like that, of course - you can't go around
telling a highly motivated person to stop the worthy task he cares
about and work on one he doesn't. Instead, you find someone else who
wants to do it.

Dermot