[OSM-talk] Serious consideration of "Newbie Editor"

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 12:23:26 GMT 2010

On 25 February 2010 12:14, Gaz Davidson <gaz at bitplane.net> wrote:

> If there are plans for a new web editor, can avoiding Flash be part of
> the considerations?

I would like to know what you suggest in order to replace Flash. While I
dislike Flash quite a bit, I fail to see what you could actually use to
replace it:
 - Javascript with HTML 5
 - Silverlight
 - Java applets

A full Javascript implementation is certainly possible with some of the new
feature that are only in some browsers (read forget all browser except for
cutting edge versions, and except IE). A silverlight implementation is
certainly possible too, but the plugin is not widely spread among the
different browsers and the different operating systems. You could of course
code in Java and create a Java applet, but honestly I fail to see how it
would be acceptable to many people.
I might miss other possibilities but those are the main alternative to Flash
and for many reason none are really a good alternative yet to Flash.
If you have a good idea on how to crack the Flash problem, please let us
know.

Emilie Laffray