[OSM-talk] Serious consideration of "Newbie Editor"

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 12:30:25 GMT 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 6:23 AM, Emilie Laffray <emilie.laffray at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 25 February 2010 12:14, Gaz Davidson <gaz at bitplane.net> wrote:
>
>> If there are plans for a new web editor, can avoiding Flash be part of
>> the considerations?
>>

> I would like to know what you suggest in order to replace Flash. While I
> dislike Flash quite a bit, I fail to see what you could actually use to
> replace it:
>  - Javascript with HTML 5
>  - Silverlight
>  - Java applets
>
> A full Javascript implementation is certainly possible with some of the new
> feature that are only in some browsers (read forget all browser except for
> cutting edge versions, and except IE)

I've toyed with using Google Maps API to implement a simple editor before.
It was fairly simple to do. I stopped development because I didn't think it
would gain widespread use in the OSM community because it was created with
their API.

I know OpenLayers provides a similar drawing API, but I was more familiar
with Google Maps API.