[OSM-talk] Serious consideration of "Newbie Editor"

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 12:57:34 GMT 2010

On 25 February 2010 13:30, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 6:23 AM, Emilie Laffray <emilie.laffray at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> On 25 February 2010 12:14, Gaz Davidson <gaz at bitplane.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> If there are plans for a new web editor, can avoiding Flash be part of
>>> the considerations?
>>>

>> I would like to know what you suggest in order to replace Flash. While I
>> dislike Flash quite a bit, I fail to see what you could actually use to
>> replace it:
>>  - Javascript with HTML 5
>>  - Silverlight
>>  - Java applets
>>
>> A full Javascript implementation is certainly possible with some of the
>> new feature that are only in some browsers (read forget all browser except
>> for cutting edge versions, and except IE)
>
> I've toyed with using Google Maps API to implement a simple editor before.
> It was fairly simple to do. I stopped development because I didn't think it
> would gain widespread use in the OSM community because it was created with
> their API.
>
> I know OpenLayers provides a similar drawing API, but I was more familiar
> with Google Maps API.

You could either just use svg directly or use a library like raphael
or OpenLayers or Google maps, (but check out the demos at
http://raphaeljs.com/)

There's a problem with all the javascript approaches though and it's
the memory limit, I believe this is why cartagen isn't any useful.
Obviously flash, silverlight and java have memory limits too but
they're higher.

I don't see silverlight as a gain over flash as there's no
_really_usable_ opensource implementation of either (that I know of)
and so some mappers will always be excluded -- those that value
software freedom or those on rare architectures.

Cheers