[OSM-talk] Thoughts on OSM design, and looking forward - and back

Mike Harris mikh43 at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 25 15:32:59 GMT 2010

I think I am in the same camp as Kai / Randy / Vic ...

I regard myself as not-quite-a-newbie-any-more (i.e. somewhere between
Kai's 'Geek' and his 'Joe the Plumber'. I enjoy contributing to OSM as a
mapper - both recording the GPX and editing it in JOSM (with
not-nearly-so-intuitive-and-often-counter-intuitive Potlatch for quick
minor tweaks). I am on a few mailing lists (and sometimes contribute),
read bits of the wiki from time to time (and occasionally contribute to
it), etc. I mention all this only so that others can judge my comments
in context.

In (partially) following this thread about OSM design I have in fact
discovered several external sites of which I was completely unaware and
which are going greatly to add to my fun with / use of OSM e.g. Mapzen
and MapOsmatic. Sites like this will also help me 'sell' OSM to friends
and colleagues who think I am a bit mad wandering around with a GPS
receiver and a digital voice recorder!

In fact, all I would suggest - at least as a first (but hugely
beneficial) step is putting a bunch of links (and a couple of good maps
- one urban and one rural) on the front page. This isn't rocket science
but I think it would pay back in spades just as others have argued in
this thread. I don't think we need to become more of an end-user site
ourselves (and probably should not because of reasons of support etc.
and dilution of the primary purpose as a mapping site that accumulates
good data).

In support of my argument I would cite the recent sterling efforts made
by OSM mappers in responding to the Haiti earthquake emergency. Our
value was the data we had and could accumulate. But what the end users
in the field needed were (mostly) up-to-the-minute maps they could use
e.g. on hand-held GPS receivers. We could - and did - provide the data.
Other implementations made it available in user-friendly form. This
seems about the right model also for less dramatic everyday use.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth from a not-quite-a-newbie!

mikh43

--
*/Mike Harris/*