[OSM-talk] Serious consideration of "Newbie Editor"

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Sun Feb 28 20:10:44 GMT 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Randy <rwtnospam-newsgp at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dave Stubbs wrote:
>
>>On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:29 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>
>>wrote:

>>>There are some downsides, bloated code base, which in turns makes
>>>things harder for new coders to edit or fix small issues, and higher
>>>memory and other resource usage, although javascript may be higher
>>>still, but I haven't needed to compare flash to javscript before.
>>>

>>Bigger code base sure -- and lots of code that might not get used for
>>some config -- if the code is written nicely that's largely to one
>>side and people don't notice it. It's mostly UI stuff anyway -- as I
>>said you actually end up needing most of the same back end processing
>>if you're doing anything that involves not just POIs (and for various
>>OSM reasons that's increasingly not so useful). This is more about
>>good design than an inherent property.
>>
>>Higher memory and resource usage is about how you program it, and how
>>the simple mode switch works, and isn't necessarily true at all.
>>
>>Flash vs Javascript is not really relevant to the points made, unless
>>you mean that there isn't currently a javascript editor to cut down,
>>which is of course true.
>>
>>Dave

> Dave,
>
> Do you have any way to estimate the resource requirements for Potlatch 2,
> and what they would be if a "simple" switch were added.

Potlatch 2 currently runs on my netbook, and seeing as how I develop
it on my netbook it should continue to do so :-)  My netbook is an
Atom 1.6GHz 1GB RAM BTW.

The SWF size is about 550KB at the moment, most of which will be the
flex gui framework and associated bits and pieces, so will be present
in any flex based flash app.

If you do a break down of where the code is at the moment:
 - about 20 classes for tag editing (the "simple" user stuff)
 - about 10 classes for vector editing
 - about 20 classes for handling OSM objects, and talking to the API 0.6
 - about 25 classes for rendering data (halcyon)

Simple mode basically takes out the vector editing stuff.

You can obviously make something a lot lighter if you weren't using
flex. Well, startup bandwidth lighter at least.

Dave