[OSM-talk] Serious consideration of "Newbie Editor"

Randy rwtnospam-newsgp at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 28 23:07:35 GMT 2010

Dave Stubbs wrote:

>On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Randy <rwtnospam-newsgp at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Dave,
>>
>>Do you have any way to estimate the resource requirements for Potlatch 2,
>>and what they would be if a "simple" switch were added.
>>

>Potlatch 2 currently runs on my netbook, and seeing as how I develop
>it on my netbook it should continue to do so :-)  My netbook is an
>Atom 1.6GHz 1GB RAM BTW.
>
>The SWF size is about 550KB at the moment, most of which will be the
>flex gui framework and associated bits and pieces, so will be present
>in any flex based flash app.
>
>If you do a break down of where the code is at the moment:
>  - about 20 classes for tag editing (the "simple" user stuff)
>  - about 10 classes for vector editing
>  - about 20 classes for handling OSM objects, and talking to the API 0.6
>  - about 25 classes for rendering data (halcyon)
>
>Simple mode basically takes out the vector editing stuff.
>
>You can obviously make something a lot lighter if you weren't using
>flex. Well, startup bandwidth lighter at least.
>
>Dave

Thanks, Dave. I'm sure others with more experience than I can make a
better independent assessment, but it doesn't look particularly daunting
to me, as far as penalizing the early user.

Granted, if it's doable (and widely supported), a super simple JS2 editor
might be lighter in startup. But, as someone else mentioned earlier, it's
probably worth some sacrifice to keep the UI between simple and powerful
as similar as possible.
--
Randy