[OSM-talk] Sourcing street names - what's the policy, and why?

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 23:38:05 GMT 2010

2010/1/4 Anthony <osm at inbox.org>:
> Do they have Internet access there?  If so, then they can map it
> themselves.  If not, then there's not much point in us mapping it for them
> anyway.

I didn't think we were mapping just for locals, what about tourists?

As for internet access, there is 3G coverage of 96% of the population,
but that's not 96% of the land mass, there is also bi-directional sat
access, so yes internet access is available everywhere.

> Well, what about copyrighted aerial photographs?  If you're going to be
> completely paranoid about things, why are we allowing tracing in the first
> place?

Because we have permission to use them, in the case of nearmap they
added OSM into their terms and conditions explicitly allowing us to
use their imagery to derive map data.