[OSM-talk] Sourcing street names - what's the policy, and why?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sun Jan 3 23:29:43 GMT 2010

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 6:02 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2010/1/4 Cartinus <cartinus at xs4all.nl>:
> > The Australian outback is vast, but there is hardly anything mappable by
> > survey out there. When it comes to urban and suburban mapping (where most
> > streetnames and cycleways are), Australia isn't any different from any
> other
> > developed country.
>
> There is people all over Australia, even if some places are very
> sparsly populated, it isn't just a big empty area.

Do they have Internet access there?  If so, then they can map it
themselves.  If not, then there's not much point in us mapping it for them
anyway.

Anyway, yes, the wiki says "You should not use copyrighted maps in any way
while editing
OpenStreetMap (unless it is compatible with our license)".

Well, what about copyrighted aerial photographs?  If you're going to be
completely paranoid about things, why are we allowing tracing in the first
place?