[OSM-talk] Sourcing street names - what's the policy, and why?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Mon Jan 4 23:39:15 GMT 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 8:16 AM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> >
> > I find it incredibly strange that you're more comfortable relying on "the
> > consensus" than your own judgment, but hey, whatever works for you.
>
> To put it in other words for you, "as to what constitutes a copyright
> infringement", I'm more confident in the consensus legal opinion than
> in my own legal opinion.

I wasn't aware that there was a consensus legal opinion as to what
constitutes a copyright infringement with regard to casual non-systematic
repetition of street names found in an online map.

The only "consensus" that I'm aware of is the position of a large majority
of (mostly non-lawyer) OSM mappers "to err on the safe side", by which they
mean to never use copyrighted sources without explicit permission.