[OSM-talk] Can someone suggest a OSM/nearmap-based route-plotting tool

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 22:12:07 GMT 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 2:14 AM, Andrew Errington <
a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:

> I don't know what a "course" is, and I haven't looked.

Courses are supported by training/racing-oriented Garmin devices and add
timing information, to allow better time estimates, and to give the user a
target time.

http://wiki.motionbased.com/mb/Courses

> In summary, if you want to go somewhere with the GPS then plot the route
> on your map and make a GPX file containing a "route".  Download the route
> to the GPS and it should do the rest.

Yeah, though that relies on the data being fully routable. It seems the
trade-off is:

Track:
- WYSIWYG (the track on the gps is exactly what you created on the computer)
- totally independent of map data quality
- Can be as long and complicated as you like

Route:
- Gives better instructions ("left at the next roundabout") etc
- Easier to create and manage

I tried both this weekend and found routes weren't reliable enough.
Sometimes you'd get a "route calculation error". Also, my GPS doesn't
support routes with more than 50 waypoints. It seems a lot simpler just to
create a track and be done with it.

Steve