[OSM-talk] how to apply OSM styles to maps using Quantum GIS

Dane Springmeyer blake at hailmail.net
Tue Jan 19 03:34:29 GMT 2010

On Jan 18, 2010, at 3:15 PM, Felipe Carrillo wrote:

> Hi Jukka:
> Thanks for the reply again, I actually downloaded quantumnik a few
> days ago but my experience with the command line is very limited. I
> was trying to apply the style of the second map from this website:
> http://bitbucket.org/springmeyer/quantumnik/wiki/Home to my maps
> without success. Do you know how to go about applying this kind of
> style to qgis maps? Thanks

Felipe,

That is the Mapnik stylesheet that OSM uses on the main slippymap
page, opened in QGIS through the Quantumnik plugin. Quantumnik does
allow you to author styles from scratch through the QGIS graphical
interface, but also allows you to open existing styles (READ ONLY).
So, that style is not authored by QGIS, but rather by hand by the
brilliance and hard work of many OpenStreetMap contributors.

Again, all Quantumnik is doing is allowing you to browse the maps
rendered by that style inside QGIS and that requires you also have OSM
data inside of PostGIS running locally.

For more details see:

http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/rendering/mapnik/README

Overall the steps would be:

1) Install postgres/postgis/mapnik
2) install osm2pgsql
3) download osm data
4) import into postgis using osm2pgsql
5) edit the 'osm.xml' style to fit your database configuration
6) test rendering the osm.xml with 'generate_image.py' or 'nik2img,py'

if it works then you have a Mapnik/OSM rendering setup running locally
and you can open that style in QGIS.

Dane