[OSM-talk] [Fwd: [CrisisMappers] Geotagged Flickr photos]

Shun N. Watanabe shunw at ics.uci.edu
Fri Jan 22 01:50:36 GMT 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Jean-Guilhem Cailton <jgc at arkemie.com> wrote:
> I was disappointed that flickr was missing exactly what you provide. This is
> yet a another example of what Talbot said, that "OSM is working wonderfully
> as a clearinghouse".

Don't say flickr as bad. Flickr doesn't have any copyright for all
photos nor the map. It doesn't do nothing. Without noticing that
flickr uses OSM in Haiti, I could not decide to read Flickr's photos.
I noticed many photos of the earthquake on picasaweb but I cannot
decide to import them because of the google maps copyright.

> (For the time being, there seem to be only photos in Port-au-Prince center,
> right ?)

No. They are searched by
30. bbox=-72.4794,18.477248,-72.178717,18.68922
31. tags/earthquake,haiti
32. user "carelp" (He is one of victims of the earthquake)
Those searching conditions are listed on http://mappin.hp2.jp/rsslist.html

You can add more condition at http://mappin.hp2.jp/registration.php
How to write is,
flickr:bbox/minlon,minlat,maxlon,maxlat
flickr:tags/tag1,tag2,tag3  (and condition)
flickr:USERID/

If you know other geotagged sources allowing us to use and they
provide the list of photos by RSS, atom feed or kml, you can added URL
of the feed to it.

MapPIN'on OSM reads those feeds everyday.

> I think it would be great if it where in the wiki.
Anyone can write anything about the MapPIN'on OSM.
The website is GPLed, the map is CC-BY-SA.
MapPIN'on OSM blog's articles are licensed by CC-BY.
Copy them as you like.
But DON'T copy photos on it without checking their license.
They are copyrighted by each authors.
I just think drawing on a map some features taken in a photo doesn't
mean copying the photo, so it is not restricted by copyright law.

> Something that would be
> sexy for journalists (I would like to be able to raise the awareness about
> OSM, that appears as the "Wikipedia for Maps" to me.)

I am not interested in this. Rather than it, I would like to save Haiti people.

 Shun N. Watanabe