[OSM-talk] can't print from wiki

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 23:09:13 GMT 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 6:46 PM, Margie Roswell <mroswell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone figure this out, and enable straightforward printing on
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM/Guide, and similarly-affected
> pages?

The problem is that we are including the screen styles more than once,
and the second time it's after the print style is defined.

Section A:
			@import "/skins/common/shared.css?164";
			@import "/skins/monobook/main.css?164";
		/*]]>*/</style>
Section B:
		<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="print"
href="/skins/common/commonPrint.css?164" />
Section C:
@import "/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Common.css&usemsgcache=yes&action=raw&ctype=text/css&smaxage=18000";
@import "/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Monobook.css&usemsgcache=yes&action=raw&ctype=text/css&smaxage=18000";
@import "/index.php?title=-&action=raw&gen=css&maxage=18000&useskin=monobook";
/*]]>*/</style>

The inclusion of section C without any media type is overwriting parts
of the commonPrint.css and messing with the margins, making every page
unprintable. When I remove this element (using Firebug in Firefox) the
printing is much improved. It messes up the display of the language
bar, so I wonder if it's been put there to make the language chooser
work.

Anyway, it's a problem, and hopefully this will help one of the devs
figure out what's gone wrong. I've printed plenty from the wiki in the
past, so I suspect something has changed.

Cheers,
Andy