[OSM-talk] Tag name vs operator

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Mon Jul 12 23:00:27 BST 2010

The usage of "operator" documented in the wiki is the opposite of the standard usage, at least in the food service business (I once worked for a food broker).  The standard usage would be to say that a restaurant's name is "Smithville Waffle House", for instance, it is a franchise of "Waffle House", and it is operated by "XYZ Food Services".  The franchise name is the one you would most likely render on a map.  The average consumer would have no reason to be interested in the operator's name unless they needed to talk to management about a problem of some sort.