[OSM-talk] On the ground rule on the wiki

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 04:19:56 BST 2010

On 2 June 2010 12:08, Robin Paulson <robin.paulson at gmail.com> wrote:

> this reminds me of a situation i've come across in auckland, which i
> don't know the solution to. there's a major road, which apparently has
> three names:
> The Strand (on signposts)
> Shipwright Lane (on different signposts)
> another name which I can't remember off the top of my head, not on any
> signs or maps i can find, but which some (older) locals refer to it as
>
> what to do?

I would think about using name= and alt_name= for the The Strand and
Shipwright Lane, and either loc_name or old_name for the third name.
See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name  This would get them
into the system for namefinder etc to use, but only one would be
printed in most renderings.

The hard part is which one would get the main name.  Are you sure that
both names apply to the whole street?  There is a similar case I've
seen, where a lane was parallel to the main street - when the street
was widened, the intervening building(s) were removed.  The buildings
on one side of the street for one or two blocks were still on
(Something) lane, the rest of the street and the other side of the
road had the other address.

Stephen