[OSM-talk] Custom rendering of a small map

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 19:15:53 BST 2010

Hi everyone,

FYI  WikiTravel offers instructions on how to create a 'WikiTravel
Style'   Map  (using OSM data)

http://wikitravel.org/en/Wikitravel:How_to_create_a_map

(the instructions require super-human powers, that i dont have yet,
but others might be able to translate it to "WikiMap for Dummies" :-)

And thank you Gervase for pointing out that you can export a SVG from OSM.
And using Inkscape to play.   You can also SaveAs an OpenOffice file,
then play with it a bit more in OpenOffice Draw and add in map keys &
other map stuff.   (changing colour of the polygons  & line types
etc.) & breaking apart & grouping the areas etc.

I use Marble Desktop as it has a nice Mapnik Legend that is easy to
copy & move it round the page (using 'PrtScr' button on the keyboard
with Windows paint (or Equivenent Linux program) and paste it there
and just select what you like & paste it in the OpenOffice Draw
document to work with.

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Sam