[OSM-talk] Custom rendering of a small map

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Mon Jun 7 11:49:13 BST 2010

On 06/06/10 17:46, Gary68 wrote:
> could you please be a little bit more precise what you don't like at
> osmarender and especially mapgen.pl?

It was me who said that, actually. Here are a few comments, mostly in
relation to the Mapnik style:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.40961&lon=0.01101&zoom=16&layers=0B00FTF

* Bus stop icons are big and ugly
* In fact, many icons have too few colours
* Lots of text rendering has letters overlapping themselves
* Text in different categories overlaps (e.g. road names/train station
   names/POI names)
* Font is probably 1-2 px too big to fit nicely in the roads
* Road names overlap one way arrows
* Road ends are square
* Choice of POIs to render seems not as good as Mapnik

Example of lots of overlapping text:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.40711&lon=0.01398&zoom=17&layers=0B00FTF

Hope that's a useful start... My suspicion is that some of this stuff,
like text rendering, cannot be fully fixed with the technology choices
inherent in the way OSMARender works. But I'd love to be proved wrong.

Gerv