[OSM-talk] Big sponsors (was: WolframAlpha uses OpenStreetMap data)

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Fri Jun 18 04:46:58 BST 2010

On Jun 17, 2010, at 9:08 PM, Ian Dees wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 9:31 PM, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:
> I think we can do better
>
>        http://customer.otrs.org/otrs/customer.pl
>
> is a horrible interface. I'd like something that works like uservoice.com but is integrated in to the rails port (because tom says so). I actually think we should go with uservoice.com, it's all set up and would take 5 minutes to integrate, and then move to something self-hosted later. I don't think it would actually be super hard to write either. I even started doing it but got pissed off at all the negativity on this list... I must be getting old.
>
> I think the negativity towards uservoice is that it is A) to use your words: "a horrible interface"

that's a matter of opinion, any reasonable person I've ever met would prefer uservoice to trac or otrs or whatever.

> and B) more specifically, it is not meant for map data in any way.

and as I've said multiple hundreds of times, I know, and it doesn't matter. Just have a look at the OSM uservoice page and look at all the good stuff in there. Far better than you'll get in a million years in trac.

> I won't know what the user was looking at, what zoom level they were at, if they clicked on a particular location for the problem, etc. Additionally, it doesn't give us a good interface to work as a community to fix the problems.

blah fucking blah. as I said, multiple hundreds of times, you can fix all that and integrate something fairly simply in to the rails port - at some point in the future. Whereas a simple feedback system, today, is super useful.

Steve

stevecoast.com