[OSM-talk] Tagging for street danger levels

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 15:13:55 BST 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 9:29 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
> <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 2010/6/23 Anthony <osm at inbox.org>:
>> > I figured it would be footway=* (a la cycleway=*), but apparently that
>> > was
>> > proposed years ago and never adopted
>> > (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Footway).
>>

>> do you suggest to set it to abandoned? Features in OSM are (mostly)
>> not introduced or adopted by voting. Just use it, if you find it
>> useful, even though there are alternatives (highway=path,
>> foot=official, bicycle=no)
>
> highway=path wouldn't work if the way is already tagged with
> highway=secondary.
> I was thinking something like highway=secondary, footway=both (a la
> highway=secondary, cycleway=track).
> The alternative would be to have three different ways.
> Neither solution is particularly nice, though.  I'm actually hoping someone
> will come up with something better :).

Without attempting to express much of an interest in tagging
discussions, it would be great if you were to use the word "sidewalk"
to describe the paths-along-the-edge-of-roads. The word footway might
well mean the same thing but is used elsewhere in osm, and will lead
to confusion. I'd prefer the British term "pavement" since most tags
are (for hysterical raisins) in british terms, but "pavement" gets
confused with "sealed surface" in some parts of the world.

Cheers,
Andy