[OSM-talk] Still interest in an Android POI collector?

grahamjones139 at googlemail.com grahamjones139 at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 6 21:06:51 GMT 2010

> POI, track, and photo collection would be useful additional features,

> along with something to highlight in the directions where there is a

> FIXME or OSMbug entry nearby on the map.

> I think that integrating these features into Navit (perhaps as plugins),

> rather than having a separate app would be of much greater benefit.

> Robert (Jamie) Munro

Robert,
I am not sure that adding more features to another application is the best
way to do it - To be useful something like POI and photo collection needs
to be really simple, without having to go through a lot of menus to get
there. Therefore I think it would be best to have one application that does
navigation, and another one for collecting mapping information or tweaking
the map on the go.
That said, you could recycle a lot of the code and share it between the
two, but I would rather have a separate application with a simpler user
interface. It may be possible to effectively have a command line switch on
Android so you can have one application but different shortcuts to start it
with different user interfaces - I have never tried to do that though!

Graham.