[OSM-talk] OSM for walkers / hikers - getting it going!

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Fri Mar 12 10:23:07 GMT 2010

>   (PS  I used the S.O.S (Spawn of Satan) tag 'path' , so I'm not sure
how
>many of my trails will work with other stylesheets)

"path" isn't Spawn of Satan! ;-)

What is Spawn of Satan, here in the UK at least, is "foot=yes". ;-) This
is completely ambiguous, either use "designated" for a designated right of
way or "permissive" if access is by discretion only.

I consider highway=footway to be an urban surfaced path, and highway=path
to be a rough, mud/dirt/rock, countryside path FWIW.

But TBH I'm really focusing on using the designation= tag for rights of
way these days, to get round these ambiguities.

Nick