[OSM-talk] Administrative boundaries along roads

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 16:39:33 GMT 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Jeff Spirko <spirko at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> Many of the administrative boundaries in my area follow roads (or vice
> versa).  (E.g. http://osm.org/go/Zcll6ubE?layers=B000TTF )  It seems
> like the TIGER import has a separate list of nodes for the two ways
> (one administrative and one road), but the nodes are at identical
> locations.  This makes Maplint and Potlatch complain about duplicated
> nodes, making it hard to distinguish real map lint from this type.

This is because the TIGER, county, state, and city imports all happened at
different times with no effort to reconcile the two.

As time has gone on, mappers in some areas have consolidated and
"relationified" some borders, but obviously not everywhere.

In most cases, the border is actually down the centerline of the road and
jurisdictions have agreements about who takes care of the roads at the
border. As a counterpoint to this, my hometown and the neighboring city
frequently bicker about who should plow the border streets in winter.