[OSM-talk] Moving to Java 1.6 not so easy to swallow

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Mar 24 21:28:21 GMT 2010

Christian,

Christian Rogel wrote:
> Maybe, Java 1.6 has very luring features, but the search of perfection
> by smart developers has to be weighted when considering the number of
> OSMers who cannot afford themselves any changement.

Developers are in shorter supply than mappers. I have resisted the move
to 1.6 quite a while myself saying that it does us no good to require
more than the average operating system can offer.

But we've reached a point where developers actually have to waste time
to find workarounds for stuff that would simply work in 1.6 - time that
could also be used to fix bugs or improve the software in other ways.

Tough as it may be for some users, we cannot indefinitely support old
hardware, and with Java 1.6 the time has come to make a cut.

But like all almost OSM software, JOSM is open source and you will of
course be able to retrieve old software versions from SVN and build them
on whatever flavour of Java you like...

> So, I do demand hat there will be a final and stable JOSM version for
> 1.5 with adequate cadastre.fr plug-in.

... just don't "demand" things.

(It is actually quite likely that the last working 1.5 version will
somehow be flagged and documented as such; maybe someone even makes a
package with all the plugins. Actually - you could do that yourself!)

Bye
Frederik