[OSM-talk] Moving to Java 1.6 not so easy to swallow

Lars Francke lars.francke at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 21:23:30 GMT 2010

> Maybe, Java 1.6 has very luring features, but the search of perfection
> by smart developers has to be weighted when considering the number of
> OSMers who cannot afford themselves any changement.

The two options have been weighed against each other and the outcome
obviously was that it is worth the change. The number of JOSM users
who can't use Java 1.6 is very small. The rest can just use an old
version.

> In my case, there is no way to get Java 1.6 running on Mac PPC (I bought
> my machine four years ago).
> Meaning that people like me must invest is not a good answer.

Everyone else stopping development or moving on isn't a good answer
either. This Mac issue only affects a very very small fraction of all
JOSM users as outlined earlier. Java 1.6 is _four_ years old if Apple
decides not to support it or is very very slow this should not be our
problem.

> So, I do demand hat there will be a final and stable JOSM version for
> 1.5 with adequate cadastre.fr plug-in.
> This would have to be publicized on the homepage for loading
> (FR:WikiStartJOSM).

I doubt that a demand will get you very far. Are you currently using
JOSM with the plugin? If so just keep using it.

All this whining gets old very fast.

Cheers,
Lars