[OSM-talk] Fwd: Is this relation really closed?

James Le Cuirot chewi at aura-online.co.uk
Wed Mar 31 18:02:12 BST 2010

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 17:28:09 +0100
Emilie Laffray <emilie.laffray at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 31 March 2010 17:20, James Le Cuirot <chewi at aura-online.co.uk>
> wrote:
> >
> > The relationship analyzer says that the segment for Kent is closed.
> >
> > http://betaplace.emaitie.de/webapps.relation-analyzer/analyze.jsp?relationId=88071
> >
> > Am I misunderstanding what it means by closed? Looking at the map,
> > it appears to be closed. I have called the PostGIS functions
> > ST_IsRing and ST_IsClosed on the MultiLineString and they return
> > false. Am I making a bad assumption here?
> >

> You can use http://analyser.openstreetmap.fr
> By entering the relation, you can see that there are 3 self
> intersections on the coast.

Thanks for your quick reply, Emilie. No doubt that is the culprit. I
have found a PostGIS function that can clean such problems but it would
be nice to fix the source data. I'm totally new to OSM and I live
nowhere near this area. It seems like a simple enough fix though. Would
it be considered rude for me to fix this? If the problem was that
obvious, wouldn't someone else have fixed it already?

James